Monday, August 13, 2012

          While there are nutritional guidelines that are recommended for all people,  the actions we choose to obtain better health and wellness are very much an individual choice. What works for me may not work for everyone. The foods I eat in order to fuel my body with the recommended daily nutrients may not be the same foods others would choose in order to consume those same nutrients. Also, the exercise I partake in may not be the same type of exercise everyone enjoys, and in fact may not even be recommended for many people. All that matters in the end is that every individual takes the time to create a personal action plan for their health habits. Through a combination of planning, goals, motivation and action, it is possible for anyone to become healthier.

          Even before this class, I strived to be in good health. Since I was a teenager, I have taken pride in being in good physical condition, through both a nutritious diet and challenging exercise. During high school, I started my own personal health education, and have maintained it throughout adulthood. However, no matter how healthy I believe I am, I know there is always room for improvement, and there is always more I can learn. Throughout this class, I have learned how the importance of different nutrients change as we age, which was something I never gave much thought to before. I also learned about the different psychological and social reasons that determine some food choices. I found this important because by understanding these reasons, I can help better control my emotional responses to food. Another aspect I found interesting during this class is how we can aid our digestion process simply by our posture and composure while we eat.

          It is important to establish personal nutritional goals and needs before putting a plan into action. Here is a link that I recommend, as I have used it in the past to determine my daily nutritional recommendations based on my personal information. http://www.mealsmatter.org/EatingForHealth/Tools/PNP/       

        







       

        

          I also use a food log to document what I eat throughout the day, which helps me look back and realize what nutrients I consumed enough of that day, and which ones I need to strive to get more of the next day. This is a great way to stay organized and motivated, as well as more focused on the nutritional make up of the foods I eat. It forces me to look at serving sizes and the nutritional content in those servings. I just use a simple notebook; however, there are several websites that offer virtual logs or printable versions such as the ones found on this site. http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/food-log.html   

         
          My daily nutritional goals are to make sure I eat three small meals each day, with three small snacks in between those meals. This ensures my metabolism will not slow during any period of the day, making my body feel less obligated to store excess fat for the future. I make sure I consume at least two servings of fruit and vegetables spread among those meals and snacks, at least 30 grams of whole grains or other complex carbohydrates during every meal or snack, at least 10 grams of protein (but usually closer to 20 grams) during each meal and snack and at least a few grams of unsaturated fat during each meal and snack as well. I am highly active everyday because of the physical requirements of my job, as well as my high energy hobbies; therefore, I must ensure that I consume more calories from these nutritional sources than someone who is less active. By ensuring that I eat enough fruit and vegetables, in accordance with lean meat, low-fat dairy products, nuts and eggs, I maintain the recommended doses of essential vitamins and minerals as well. Staying well hydrated is also a vital aspect of my daily nutritional goals. If the body is even three percent dehydrated, organs do not function at their maximum potential, and we do not metabolize fat as efficiently as possible.
         

                       
           I also maintain a challenging, intense workout routine. I rotate cardiovascular and resistance training six days a week. I also rock climb about three days per week in addition, for fun, which is also an amazing full body workout. I always try to find exercises I enjoy. I find this to be vital to maintaining a consistent workout routine. I lift weights or perform body weight resistance exercises three days per week (usually Monday, Wednesday and Friday), and I run or play basketball on three different days (usually Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday). I mix in the rock climbing on any days I am feeling especially strong and motivated. This variety and routine gives me a great mixture of exercises that offer a wide range of health benefits. I recommend finding one or more workout partners to offer reciprocal motivation when it gets difficult to find self motivation, or seeking the help of a personal trainer, for beginners. I also recommend finding activities that are personally enjoyable as well as physically active. This way, exercise does not seem like so much of a chore. Here is a website I utilize when I need to find new exercises to maintain variety during my workouts. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm


          My goal is achieve the best overall health and wellness I can each day. This starts with proper nutrition and exercise. These elements are the foundation necessary to help both my body and mind function to the best of their ability. I find that a proper balance of these elements help me feel better both physically and mentally, providing me with the proper fuel needed to take on any challenge I may face during the day. This balance also provides me with confidence that I am taking the proper steps to maintain good long term health, and help prevent future diseases. I will continue to strive for proper nutrition, to ensure I am as healthy as I can be, within my control, both in the present and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment